Long back in the days before GPS, Fleet Managers relied on the art of managing their fleet blind. It was difficult for the fleet managers to know what exactly was going on in their fleet and relied more on reactive management which resulted in cumbersome management.
As technology evolved and the Internet of Things was the revolution in sectors like retail, manufacturing, smart homes, utilities, automobiles, health, fleet management was also not behind. With the introduction of Telematics, it is easier for the fleet managers to monitor & control their fleets from anywhere.
Telematics is a combination of two words, telecommunication, and informatics, the conglomerate of these two sciences resulted in a new technology which is a vehicle and asset tracking technology (Fleet Management System). With Telematics it’s easier to track vehicles, know their exact location, fuel consumed, speed, mileage driver information etc. all in real time. Telematics is a combination of GPS sensors with wireless communication to transmit information real-time. Telematics can be installed and attached to the vehicle such as an engine. Internet of Things in fleet management currently works through 3 main technologies – RFID, GPS and OBD II’s. RFID helps control and track products while GPS and OBD II’s make it possible to obtain real-time information on routes, vehicle maintenance, and driving conditions.
Having a good Fleet Management system can bring massive benefits for fleet business. Reducing operational cost, increasing productivity, efficient time management, better optimization of available resources is just a few to name.
Benefits of implementing a Fleet Management Solution:
- Remote Monitoring: As in the old days it was difficult for the fleet managers to know the exact location or route of their vehicle. With a good fleet management solution, it is easy to monitor all your fleets using a single dashboard. Get real-time location tracking, geo-fencing, and route of your fleets.
- Reduce operational cost & increase productivity: A good fleet management solution allows the business owners to save on the operational cost. With the fleet management solution, get regular reports, identify sorter & best routes, know the unauthorized use of vehicles, and under-utilization & over-utilization of vehicles which also helps in increasing productivity.
- Maximize vehicle utilization: With Fleet management solution, know the ideal time, over-utilization and underutilization of a vehicle, fuel consumption etc and make decisions with regular reports.
- Geofencing: With geofencing, keep a track on the vehicle route and know the exact location of your vehicle. In case of any deviation, the operator gets an instant alert via SMS/Email. This helps in monitoring of increased operational efficiency, workforce optimization and elevated security and safety levels for the user. In case of theft or unauthorized use of the vehicle, the operator can immobilize the vehicle using his remote access.
- Preventive maintenance: Get automatic maintenance alerts ahead of time in form of SMS and emails for servicing and maintenance. Also, always know the Kilometres traveled, Battery health. Execute plan and schedule maintenance program to keep your truck health.
- Timely alerts: The Fleet management solutions these days also provide an audio & visual indication for instant alarm notifications. Notifications for issues like high water temperature, low oil pressure, low hydraulic oil level, etc can be provided which helps the operator to address the issue on time, reducing the downtime & improving efficiency.
- Periodic reports: Get daily/weekly/monthly reports for day-to-day monitoring, operator productivity reports, machinery productivity report, over speeding, fuel usage etc.
- Operator Monitoring: Fleet management systems these days also have the provision of integrating RFID attendance card system which helps them to monitor the exact working hours of the operator. It also helps them to check if only unauthorized employees and operators are using the equipment with camera integration.
- Fuel Monitoring: Fuel is one of the highest incurred cost in the fleet business. And the fuel thefts result in a heavy operational cost to the owners. With the implementation of fleet management system gets daily reports on the fuel filled, fuel consumed, short-fills, KMPL, fuel thefts and vehicles consuming excess fuel. In case of any theft, an instant alert is sent to the fleet manager via SMS/Email to stop the theft.
Managing a fleet is overwhelming, but the implementation of a fleet management system can make the entire process very simple and efficient.
If you are interested in learning more about how you can benefit from implementing our fleet management request for info by sending an email to email@example.com